Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently asked questions
Unless otherwise indicated, all events are open to Virginia Tech undergraduate and graduate students of any major, as well as faculty and staff members.
We partner with organizations to create service experiences that put community-identified needs first. Our team's goal is to develop partnerships by building sustainable, mututally beneficial relationships. Are you interested developing a partnership with us? Have a question about a current project? Send our team a note at email@example.com.
No. However, we may be able to put you in touch with a community partner in need of volunteers, or have an upcoming service trip that can accomodate your size group. We also recommend checking out Volunteer NRV, which is a comprehensive listing of area volunteering opportunities. Also, GobblerConnect is a great way to find student groups focused on service or a cause you are interested in.
All of our trips are free, except for overnight trips (weekends, alternative breaks, and international trips.) Every weekend trip is $40. Alternative breaks and international trips vary in cost based on location. Need-based financial assistance is available for all trips!
Yes. A limited amount of need-based financial assistance is available for each of these trips. All applicants will be considered.
Please speak to your instructor about their preferred method for tracking your progress. We suggest recording the details in a spreadsheet.
We may be able to help with this request, but we need at least one week's notice before the trip date to see if we can make it happen. We need to coordinate with our community partners and the students on our trip to make sure this works for all of them and won't interfere with the trip. Communications students are not allowed to go one of our trips to take photos, video, or interview participants without permission from the VT Engage team.
Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-231-9798 during regular business hours (Monday - Friday, 8 am - 5 pm) to discuss this type of request.
Yes, you can complete court-ordered community service hours through VT Engage programs. While we do not agree with the practice of assigning community service as punishment, we want to be able to assist students needing these hours by offering them meaningful opportunities to connect with community. Before you sign up for any experience, please note the following information.
- Before signing up for any trip, please email us at email@example.com to let us know you need to complete this hours requirement.
- Note that the only documentation we can provide to verify your hours is a notarized letter confirming your attendance and hours served on the trips you attended.
- Because of FERPA privacy laws, we cannot verify your hours over the phone with any agency, under any circumstances.
- Before you sign up for any of our trips, please confirm with the agency you are working with that a notarized letter is acceptable documentation of your hours.
- After confirming that a notarized letter is acceptable documentation, you can sign up for one or more of our trips.
- Once you complete your hours, please follow up with us at firstname.lastname@example.org and request a letter. We will then verify your participation. You will need to come in and pick up the letter in person.